With the holidays approaching, it is easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of our daily lives. Between spending time with loved ones, celebrating Thanksgiving and shopping for the holidays, be sure to keep the following safety tips in mind:
- Whether baking, frying or grilling, never leave your food unattended.
- Keep anything that can catch fire (pot holders, oven mitts, utensils, etc.) away from the stove, oven or other kitchen appliances that generate heat.
- Have a fire extinguisher nearby in the event of an emergency.
- Ensure all smoke alarms are connected and working.
- Avoid sharing on social media that you will be out of town.
- Keep a winter survival kit in your car that includes blankets, jumper cables, flashlights, extra layers of clothing and a shovel.
- Give yourself extra time to get to your destination. Additionally, let someone know when you’re expected to arrive.
- Buckle up, slow down and don’t drink and drive.
- When shopping online, make sure the web address always starts with “https” to ensure it is a secure site.
- When at the store or in the mall, carry a purse close to your body or a wallet in your front pocket.
- Do not leave shopping bags visible in your car. Cover packages up or place them in the trunk.
- Review your bank and credit card statements often for fraudulent charges.